Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The Sad Truth

So tonight as I wrestled with Aiden for all of about uhh...2 hours rocking him, and holding him like I always do, did I realize that he doesn't really need me to go to sleep anymore. Since he was born when he gets sleepy I lay him down in my arms, give him his "pacy" and rock him until he quietly falls fast asleep. Well, the past couple nights when I even lay him down in the "sleep position" he screams bloody murder!! :( All I could think was he must have a stomach ache, what did I eat today that is affecting him, maybe he is having bad reflux, or maybe he just isn't sleepy (as he rubs his red eyes and yawns).
So tonight after he ate I gave him his pacifier laid him down, (thinking the other nights he has fought sleep something else had to be wrong), and he just started screaming. So I kept him up a little, packed my clothes, came in the living room and sat him in my lap, sitting straight up and starting singing to him like I always do and off to sleep he went. Simple as that! No pacifier, no rocking, no nothing from me just my cracked and out of tune lullaby. WHAT? Does my son really not need me to cuddle and nuzzle him when he is sleepy. I guess the older he gets the more independent he gets. But as far as me....it is kind of upsetting. My baby is growing up so fast. From day to day he changes so much. My next problem is.. what is a easier way to get him to sleep other than keeping him up 2 hours past his bedtime until he just falls out from pure exhaustion? I am not sure how I feel about just lying him in his crib and letting him scream until he falls asleep. Any suggestions? I just had a very eye opening moment tonight and felt I needed to share! Now I will go to sleep from pure.....exhaustion!!

1 comment:

"The Verhulsts" said...

My suggestion, from other wise mothers before me, is to read Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. It's been our miracle!! Enjoy- here's a link...
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw_0_13?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=healthy+sleep+habits+happy+child&sprefix=healthy+sleep
Tiffany
P.S. My copy is loaned out, but you may borrow it when I get it back:)